Twitter

Tuesday

Cheeni Kum

Cheeni Kum is an interesting album but not the first of its kind. Interesting because it is a collection of five of Ilaiyaraja's finest compositions tune-wise. New lyrics and sung in the fresh voice of Shreya Ghosal. However, not the first of its kind - I remember this concept having been attempted before.
I am trying to recall the name of the album - the cover had the cast of Sathileelavathi (Ramesh Arvind, Heera but not Kamalhaasan). That album featured songs from Johnny among others.
Coming back to Cheeni Kum, the songs have been reproduced not only in language and lyrics but also in mood. I have to say it does not feel odd when the 'title song' is in a peppy flavor although the original one from Mouna Raagam was a sombre solo. The lyrics while not exceptional are easy on the ears.
My favorite in this compilation is Jaane do na - as good as the original.
On a side note, Amitabh's commentary in the opening is rather funny.
impress karne ke liye 25 lakh ka haar bhi de sakta tha
lekin bina price tag ke apako lagega 25 rupay ka hai
aur price tag ke saath de nahi sakta
To impress you I can get you a 25 lakh necklace
But without the price tag you might think it is a 25 rupees necklace
And I can't give you the price tag...





Refer Tamil Hub for extra alasals

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:11 PM

    I concur with your view on Cheeni Kum album. I liked the songs overall and I felt it retained the same feel mostly as the original ones. Would love to see the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard Cheeni Kum so far. I am afraid I may not get it easy, sitting here. But I was driven to comment by the sheer power of the post. Everything about CK has to be good when it is shaped by my demi-God IR!

    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to recall the name of the album - the cover had the cast of Sathileelavathi .... That album featured songs from Johnny among others.
    It was ' Aur Ek Prem Kahaani '

    ReplyDelete
  4. kumar,
    than you for that.

    ReplyDelete